Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Domino Tile

Today, I learned three things. One, if you miss measure your ingredients for the banana bars you are making you can still save the recipe. You might end up with more banana bars than you wanted but the whole recipe wasn't an entire loss.

Two, if you make a mistake stamping Staz-On ink on your domino tile project you can clean it off with the Staz-On ink cleaner. That little discovery made me really happy. I was so excited to finally make this project to think that I would have to re-glue some dominos and wait for them to dry gave me anxiety - this happened after the miss measure of the banana bars. I guess it wasn't my day. But, my third lesson today (i'll tell you about after I tell you how to make the tile) redeemed ALL the mistakes I made today.

The tile is very simple to make. You can make it as big as you like. I've seen people line a serving tray with dominos and stamp on them. It was very pretty.

Cut a piece of cardboard to the size of the domino project you want to make. Glue them down. I just used white craft glue. I weighted it down and left it sit for about an hour. Make sure your dominos are square to each other before you glue them. I used a t-square.
You will want to use Staz-On ink for your project. Staz-on ink is like a Sharpie Marker in ink pad form. You can stamp on just about an surface with it. Colors are kind of limited but well worth having them in your ink pad collection. You do need to purchase cleaner specific for Staz-on; regular cleaner won't work. But, Staz-On cleaner will work with other inks - so you may want to consider just using this cleaner.

After your glued project is dry you are ready to stamp. Choose the stamps you want to use and away you go. You do have to be careful when you stamp - the stamps tends to "slip and slid" on the smooth domino surface. The ink dries very fast so your project is complete right away.

My tile project is going in my kitchen for a decoration. My kitchen is blue and white that's why I chose blue ink. I think you could glue your dominos to a cork and make a coaster. If you go on the internet you can find LOTS of ideas for dominos used in designing jewelry.

NOW, my third lesson today. Brian came in from the workshop with white latex interior house paint on his coat. He was painting some closet doors for his job and brushed up against them. His coat is in very good shape and it would have ruined his coat. Well, as anyone knows you don't get paint out of your clothes - UNLESS YOU DISCOVER WHAT I DID TODAY!!!! I grabbed a container of my fine art paint brush cleaner. It's called "The Masters" "Brush Cleaner and Preservative." You can buy it at Michaels. It comes in a round tan container about an inch tall and three inches across. The words are written in brown. I got a cloth wet and rubbed it in the cleaner and then on the paint. It immediately started cleaning the paint out of his coat. In just a few minutes the paint was gone. I think every one should go buy some of this cleaner and keep it on hand in your house. It says on the container that it works on dried paint too. What have you got to lose if you have some dried paint in an article of clothing than to use it and see if it gets it out. It will be like getting new clothes.

well, if you make a domino project send me a photo - i'd love to see it.

Talk soon,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment